Client Care Worker: Inner City Health - (Ottawa)
"A rewarding career in caring starts here."
Reference Number: ICH-001-15
Date: May 25, 2015
Hours of Work: The successful candidate must be willing to work a minimum of six shifts a month, with two of these shifts being on weekends. Must be available to work their share of Overnights, Evenings and Days – with a focus on Nights.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Carefor Health & Community Services is a not-for-profit, charitable health care organization offering a wide variety of services in the greater Ottawa area. With over 750 staff and 300 volunteers, our skilled team members work closely with clients, caregivers and a multidisciplinary health care team to deliver quality and innovative support services.
The Client Care Worker (CCW) provides personal care, medication assistance and support to homeless clients in specialized units within three downtown shelters and two facilities in the west end. The CCW will work within the framework of Carefor policies, procedures, standards and quality & risk management. The CCW Collaborates with all members of the health care team to meet the needs of individuals and attain an optimal level of independence and wellbeing.
Carefor is committed to providing quality care to its clients twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week. In order to accomplish this, you will be expected to be available to work a minimum of 6 shifts per month, with two of these shifts being on a weekend, but you are permitted to work up to forty (40) hours per week. You will be asked to provide service during day, evening or overnight hours, with a focus on evening and overnight shifts.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Provides personal care, which includes assistance with all aspects of activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, grooming, transferring, incontinent care, walking and eating
- Provides bedside care where required
- Recognizes the social and emotional needs of clients and deals with them effectively
- Sets priorities for personal support and other activities to effectively utilize time, energy, supplies and equipment
- Clean spills on the Unit floors and surfaces and basic cleaning of the bathroom after care
- Washes, folds and puts away clients' laundry
- Assists clients to keep their rooms clean and tidy and making beds
- Monitors and maintains client safety
- Performs delegated tasks under the supervision of the registered staff (RN, RPN); including medication assistance to clients and signs for medications given
- Makes appointments for clients and accompanies them when necessary
- Carries out client care plans and other directives within the role of unregulated care provider
- Follows established policies and procedures
- Treats clients with dignity and respect
- Uses standard infection control measures correctly, including universal precautions
- Encourages and promotes client independence
- Uses interpersonal skills to build caring/helping relationships with clients
- Acts as a team player, communicating effectively with all team members
- Certificate in Personal Support Worker, Developmental Service Worker or related
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR level C Certificate
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training an asset
- Suicide ASIST training an asset
- Mental Health First Aid an asset
- Food Handler Certificate an asset
- Must be able to communicate well, both written and verbal
- Ability to take direction well
- Ability to work independently
- Experience in Palliative Care an asset
- Experience working with the homeless population preferred
- Experience working with mentally ill clients and/or substance abusers preferred
- Bilingual (French/English) an asset
Please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to (613) 749-4002
To learn more about Carefor's integral role in the community visit www.carefor.ca.
Carefor Health & Community Services/Services et Soins de Santé Communautaires
760 Belfast Road
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 6M8