Posting Date: March 10, 2014
Location: Pembroke, ON
Positions: Casual - no guarantee of Hours
Summary of Function:
Under the supervision of the Client Services Manager, the Personal Support Worker (PSW) provides personal support and homemaking services to high risk seniors residing in the City of Pembroke. Care is provided within the framework of policies, procedures, standards and quality & risk management. The PSW collaborates with members of the health care team in meeting the needs of individuals to attain an optimal level of independence and well-being.
- Personal Support Worker, required
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate, required
- Current CPR level C Certificate, required
- Valid Driver’s License, required
- Current Criminal Record Check for the vulnerable sector, required
- Registered with the PSW Registry
- At least 1 year experience working with elderly or ill individuals in a community setting
- Experience in handling confidential information
- Ability to evaluate situations and use policies and procedures as guidelines
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective communication skills (verbal, written)
- Good assessment skills
- Awareness of community resources
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team
- Dependable, trustworthy, compassionate with good work habits
- Ability to take direction well
- Ability to work independently in a busy, fast paced environment and prioritize duties
- Ability to work variety of hours, days, evening and weekends
- Ability to bend, sit, stand, kneel for short periods of timeSkills:
- The incumbent must be able to work on a shift rotation, days, evenings and weekends. There is also a mandatory overnight on call component.
- Assist or provide care according to the Client Care Plan and in compliance with a Personal Support Workers scope of practice including but not limited to personal care, lifts and transfers, activities, light housekeeping, meal preparation
- Observe client for changes in behaviour, signs or symptoms and report to the Manager or designate.
- Give verbal/written report to manager or other team members on any unusual behaviour and observations made with respect to clients
- Evaluate the individual's need for change in the personal support care plan and make recommendations to the Manager or other team members.
- Plans and organizes each day’s activities, setting priorities for personal support and other activities, to effectively utilize time, energy, supplies and equipment.
- Contributes to the development of the personal support care plan by reporting to the manager, all observations or information obtained from the client or family regarding needs and the effect of the care he/she provided
- Completes documentation according to established procedures to maintain the communication to other health team members and provide an accurate account of service provided
- Functions and reports in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, regulations, and Carefor policies and procedures
- Reports the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which he/she is aware and which may endanger him/herself or another worker
- Reports any violations of the Health and Safety Act or the regulations, or the existence of any hazard
- Ensures all workplace incidents are reported in a timely manner in accordance with legislation, and Carefor policies and procedures for workplace injuries and incidents
The successful candidates will be prepared to commence employment as soon as possible.
Candidates must demonstrate the following characteristics: Effective Communication, Accountability, Client/Customer Focus, Teamwork, Quality Improvement, Adaptability to Change, and Caring/Respect
Carefor is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity and invites applications from Women, Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities and Visible Minorities.
Eligible candidates should submit a resume clearly outlining their ability to fulfil all position requirements by mail or in person to: Heather Tatton, Human Resources Advisor: 425 Cecelia Street, Pembroke, ON K8A 1S7, by fax at (613) 732-2415, or by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please note that only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. If you have special needs and require accommodation measures for the selection process, please notify the Carefor Human Resources Advisor at that time.
To learn more about Carefor's integral role in the community visit www.carefor.ca.