Casual RPN - Palliative Care - Shift Nursing (Ottawa)
"A rewarding career in caring starts here"
Posting Date: September 6, 2013
Reference No: CFW-RPN-SFT
Position(s): Casual RPN - Shift
Carefor Health & Community Services is a not-for-profit, charitable health care organization offering a wide variety of services in the greater Ottawa area. With over 750 staff and 300 volunteers, our skilled team members work closely with clients, caregivers and a multidisciplinary health care team to deliver quality and innovative support services.
The Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) is responsible for the provision and management of cost effective nursing care to palliative individuals and/or families in the community. Care is provided within the framework of quality & risk management and the standards and scope of practice set by Carefor and the provincial regulatory body (Ontario College of Nurses) for the Registered Practical Nurse. The RPN is responsible to teach and delegate tasks to family members and caregivers as needed.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Working with client, family and other caregivers; regulated and unregulated to provide Palliative and End of Life care to clients in the home setting.
- Utilizes appropriate interviewing and communication skills to obtain information from the client/family
- Provides complete, relevant assessment of the client/family and their environment utilizing established procedures
- Selects and implements strategies or interventions from established care plans in consultation with the client and/or caregiver and health care team
- Utilizes adult learning principals and established teaching materials to provide health teaching to clients and families
- Incorporates current research findings into clinical practice
- Demonstrates effective time management, planning and organizing of day’s work activities
- Promotes client-directed care, self care and independence through teaching
- Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Formal Palliative Care Course completion preferred
- Palliative Care experience mandatory (Min. 1 Year)
- Experience in community Palliative health care preferred
- Knowledge of PPS and ESAS and Chart in the Home preferred
- Knowledge of Palliative and End of Life medications
- Ability to problem solve and to adapt nursing to independent practice
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Bilingualism English/French an asset
Please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to (613) 749-4002.
To learn more about Carefor's integral role in the community visit www.carefor.ca.
Carefor Health & Community Services/Services et Soins de Santé Communautaires
760 Belfast Road
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 6M8